I finally, to the vast relief of my friends, finished the shaving horse. They were really getting tired of hearing about it. The good news is it is entirely of wood, all of which was found or was harvested on my property. It actually functions, too. The bad news is it looks more like a deer after a car accident than a horse. Oh, and the puppy keeps stealing the wooden cotter pins to chew on — got to fix that.
Anyway, here it is from the top. The seat and one log came from trees felled by a small tornado after a storm. The rest of the wood was from oak saplings I cleared because they were in the wrong place. Here is the bench, before:
The plans called for between 52-58 inches. This is about 40, but the plans were for a tall man, not an average woman. It has four legs. In order to add stability, the legs are at an angle and are tapered inside. I built a taper from osage orange I cut from my property. I learned a lot about cutting mortise and tenons, mostly what not to do.
When I finally got the bench done, I started on the actual holder for the wood. I split a sapling and used that for the sides, used parts for the top, pivot, and bottom, and then used the scroll saw to make cotter pins . I actually did almost all the work by hand with hand tools. It took much longer, but I learned more.
So, from the torn wood, we get the shaving horse, er, deer: